[IPython-User] autoscrolling in html notebook

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Mon Jan 23 12:55:12 CST 2012

2012/1/22 Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com>:
> 2012/1/22 Zoltán Vörös <zvoros@gmail.com>
>>
>> Are you asking for logic that does:
>>
>> if cell 0 selected:
>>   scroll_to_top
>> if cell -1 selected:
>>   scroll to bottom
>>
>> I think I could add that but I would like to understand the problem a
>> bit better first.
>>
>> I think this would be cool, but perhaps others should add their voice to
>> this. Others might want it otherwise.
>

> The problem is that if the last cell is longer than the screen, then scroll
> to bottom might be too far, no?
>
> Actually I just realized one thing that may be easy to change, and that
> would help *a lot*: if we could make Escape lose keyboard focus and gain
> 'cell focus', then it would be much easier to page up/down in a notebook.
> Right now page up/down scroll very fast, but only if you have selected a
> whole cell and are not focused inside the cell; it's a little tricky to
> reach that state with the mouse (you have to click the cell outline).  But
> if Esc gave you that, I think most of my scrolling gripes would go away:

I work *very* hard to try and make sure that focusing the cell
*always* focuses the CM editor.  I explicitely trigger a focus on the
CM editor (keyboard focus) when a cell comes into focus.  This is why
a selected cell is always ready to type into.  I will keep this in
mind, but I think it would be very difficult to keep cells ready to
type into while allowing them to lose focus.

> - type type type...
> - Want to scroll up or down? Esc.
> - page up....
> - read what I need
> - page down...
> - Enter
> - back to editing.
>
> This would be fast and fluid, and would not require the mouse at all.
>
> Cheers,

Brian E. Granger