[IPython-User] autoscrolling in html notebook

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Tue Jan 24 11:30:58 CST 2012

2012/1/23 Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com>:
> 2012/1/23 Brian Granger <ellisonbg@gmail.com>:
>> I am not quite sure what you mean by clicking on the outline of a
>> cell.  There is a glitch/bug that shows up sometimes where a cell will
>> remains selected (grey outline) but the editor will lose keyboard
>> focus.  On the Mac this shows up when the cell gets a blue highlight
>> outline.  I consider this to be a bug and am in the process of
>> tracking it down.  Code cells should never lose keyboard focus while
>> the grey box is present.  Is this what you are talking about?
>
> Yup, that's precisely it :)  That is actually *useful* when it happens
> voluntarily (I agree that it's a bug that it happens at odd times and
> then you're kind of stuck for typing).  Right now the only way in
> which you can scroll with the keyboard using page up/down is:
>
> 1. if you have selected (but not double-clicked) a text cell, OR
> 2. if you have clicked on the cell outline 'just right' to get focus
> at the whole-cell level but without editing inside of it.
>
> So if in fixing the focus bug you remove completely the ability to
> have focus outside of the CM editor, it will become completely
> impossible to scroll the notebook with the keyboard, which would be a
> big usability loss.
>
> Furthermore, I think we want to have a way to have 'cell level' focus
> so that later we can implement multi-cell selection, moving, etc.
> using the usual shift-arrow pattern to select multiple cells.  For
> that to work, we'll need a way to move the focus 'one level up' from
> being inside the CM editor to grabbing the whole cell.

OK I do see that there are a number of things we could support by
going in this direction.  We would also need a keyboard shortcut to
refocus the editor of the currently selected cell.  This will be quite
a bit of work to get right though.  Let's open an issue for it and
continue there.

Brian

> Cheers,

Brian E. Granger