[IPython-User] Untitled notebooks

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Tue Jan 24 15:32:33 CST 2012

Hi,

> I have noticed that whenever I try to create a new notebook, the
> notebook is written to disk immediately, even if I don't ask ipython to
> do that. This has the undesired effect that, if I close this project
> without saving it, and then creating a new one, well, a new one will be
> created. So, very soon, I have Untitled0 to Untitled22, while I didn't
> want to save anything. (The situation that I refer to here is when I use
> these notebooks as a scratch paper, for a quick calculation, which
> should not be preserved.) My question is whether this is the intended
> behaviour. If not, is this something that could be changed?

This is by design.  There are a couple of reasons for this:

* If makes it easier to ensure that Untitled notebooks have unique
names and notebooks IDs.
* In the long run we will move in the direction of automatically
saving and version control.  In that context, you want to make sure
that the notebook is always persisted to disk, even if the user hasn't
asked for that to happen yet.
* We want to force users to be explicit about deleting notebooks.
* It simplifies the implementation on a number of fronts.
* The second a notebook is opened, the server needs to track it,
because a kernel has to be started for it.  It is not really possible
for there to be a notebook that the server is unaware of.  We use the
notebook as a handle on the kernel.

Cheers,

Brian

> Cheers,