[IPython-User] Untitled notebooks

Cameron Hayne cameron.hayne@dftmicrosystems....
Tue Jan 24 16:07:38 CST 2012

A "Delete Notebook" button with the behaviour described would be good.
But isn't there a way to have this happen (via JavaScript) when the
browser window is closed?
(If so, that would avoid wasting screen space with a button.)
... Cameron
--
Cameron Hayne
hayne@sympatico.ca

On 24-Jan-12, at 4:59 PM, Brian Granger wrote:

> What if the File menu had a "Delete Notebook" option that deleted the
> current notebook and redirected you back to the notebook dashboard?
>
> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Cameron Hayne
> <cameron.hayne@dftmicrosystems.com> wrote:
>>> We want to force users to be explicit about deleting notebooks.
>>

>> The problem I have with this is that it isn't obvious at all to me
>> how to do
>> this. (in iPython 0.12)
>> I start iPython in notebook mode and I get a browser window. I
>> click on the
>> New Notebook button and get a new window.
>> When I'm finished with my one-off calculations, I'd like to dispose
>> of this
>> notebook but I don't see any button to do that.
>> So I quit the browser and control-C the kernel and then I get the
>> build-up
>> of Untitled notebooks that Zoltán mentioned.
>> What am I missing?
>> ... Cameron
>> --
>> Cameron Hayne
>> hayne@sympatico.ca

>>> This is by design.  There are a couple of reasons for this:
>>>
>>> * If makes it easier to ensure that Untitled notebooks have unique
>>> names and notebooks IDs.
>>> * In the long run we will move in the direction of automatically
>>> saving and version control.  In that context, you want to make sure
>>> that the notebook is always persisted to disk, even if the user
>>> hasn't
>>> asked for that to happen yet.
>>> * We want to force users to be explicit about deleting notebooks.
>>> * It simplifies the implementation on a number of fronts.
>>> * The second a notebook is opened, the server needs to track it,
>>> because a kernel has to be started for it.  It is not really
>>> possible
>>> for there to be a notebook that the server is unaware of.  We use