[IPython-User] making notebook aware of environmental variables

Zoltán Vörös zvoros@gmail....
Thu Jan 26 16:43:57 CST 2012

Dear Thomas, and Brian

Thanks for the comments!

On 01/26/2012 11:19 PM, Thomas Kluyver wrote:
> 2012/1/26 Zoltán Vörös <zvoros@gmail.com <mailto:zvoros@gmail.com>>
>
>     My question is whether there is a way to make the notebook aware
>     of this export. I have tried !export, but to no avail.
>

> Have you tried modifying it in os.environ?

After you pointed this out, I tried. But this doesn't help. I can set
the PATH variable with os.putenv, but in the notebook, there is no
LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the os.environ list. It is there in the console
version of ipython, so I am pretty sure that this issue is not related
to the core of ipython.

Even if I explicitly issue

os.system('export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/cuda/lib64:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH')
or
os.putenv('LD_LIBRARY_PATH','/usr/local/cuda/lib64')

in the notebook, that doesn't change the situation.

Given this, should I just open an issue?
Cheers,
Zoltán