[IPython-User] making notebook aware of environmental variables

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Fri Jan 27 03:04:16 CST 2012

2012/1/27 Zoltán Vörös <zvoros@gmail.com>:
> when I put this into the menus, it fails for some reason.

This was the key piece of information you hadn't told us!  I was
assuming you were starting it from the cmd line...

In general, anything you start from a  menu/gui launcher does NOT
inherit your environment.  You can see that by simply making a
launcher that calls a shell script that does

env > ~/env.txt

and you'll see an environment without your personal variables.

I think there's a way to set the env. so it's inherited by gui
launchers too, but I've never bothered to find out the details.  I
just keep Tilda on call at F12 and start everything from it.