[IPython-User] making notebook aware of environmental variables

Angus McMorland amcmorl@gmail....
Fri Jan 27 07:16:06 CST 2012

2012/1/27 Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com>:
> 2012/1/27 Zoltán Vörös <zvoros@gmail.com>:
>> when I put this into the menus, it fails for some reason.
>
> This was the key piece of information you hadn't told us!  I was
> assuming you were starting it from the cmd line...
>
> In general, anything you start from a  menu/gui launcher does NOT
> inherit your environment.  You can see that by simply making a
> launcher that calls a shell script that does
>
> env > ~/env.txt
>
> and you'll see an environment without your personal variables.
>
> I think there's a way to set the env. so it's inherited by gui
> launchers too, but I've never bothered to find out the details.  I
> just keep Tilda on call at F12 and start everything from it.

Assuming you're using standard Ubuntu (i.e. gnome-based), I think you
want to define environment variables for the current session into
.gnomerc in your home directory (create the file if it doesn't already
exist). From there they get set for the current gnome session.

Angus

> Cheers,

AJC McMorland
Post-doctoral research fellow