[IPython-User] redirecting plot to separate notebook

Zoltán Vörös zvoros@gmail....
Fri Jan 27 16:40:12 CST 2012

Hi All,

My question might be completely stupid, but in the worst case, you'll
just have a long laugh, and we can move on.

What I would like to know is whether it is possible to redirect only the
plots from one notebook to another. The problem I want to solve is the
following. Computer monitors, and laptop monitors in particular, tend to
be wider than tall, and on the other hand, python statements are usually
short, and a line that is longer than 80 characters is considered bad
practice anyway. The upshot is that one cannot really utilize the full
width of the screen, but if you do plotting in a session, then you will
always have to scroll between the plot and the code. I was wondering
then whether one could do the coding in one notebook, and plot into
another. I could very  well do with a half-width screen, as far as
coding is concerned. Some browsers even let you split the window, so
everything could be side by side. However, after a quick search, I could
not find anything pointing in this direction.

Of course, one could use standard plots, and open newer and newer
windows, if you have multiple plots, but that is not the real thing.
First, it clutters the screen, and second, the plots won't have a
structure to them, and if you want to save them, you have to save them
one by one.

In any case, if this scheme is doable, is there some information on how
one would set out to do this?

Cheers,
Zoltán