[IPython-User] redirecting plot to separate notebook

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Fri Jan 27 17:40:44 CST 2012

2012/1/27 Harald Schilly <harald.schilly@gmail.com>

> I don't think that's a stupid question, and I thought about this, too.
> What would solve this is a type of cell in the notebook with a
> vertical split, that contains input code on the left hand side and a
> plot (or the output) on the right hand side. An advanced version of
> that would make it even possible to drag the split line around. I
> don't know how hard it would be to do that, but I think it's a
> feasible idea to try to implement this …

This sounds like a more tractable approach than redirecting the plots to
another notebook. It would also mean that the plots were kept together with
the code that produced them, so you could scroll both parts together.

I think this could work very well. I've seen examples of literate
programming with description on the left and code on the right (
http://fitzgen.github.com/pycco/); we could similarly have a notebook
layout for wide screens which displayed code on the left, output on the
right.

Thomas