[IPython-User] redirecting plot to separate notebook

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Fri Jan 27 17:47:58 CST 2012

When the idea of side-by-side input/output came up before, I said I
was very much in favor of implementing this - I continue to think it
is a great idea.  I don't think we are quite ready to undertake this,
but it is strongly on my radar.

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/1/27 Harald Schilly <harald.schilly@gmail.com>
>>
>> I don't think that's a stupid question, and I thought about this, too.
>> What would solve this is a type of cell in the notebook with a
>> vertical split, that contains input code on the left hand side and a
>> plot (or the output) on the right hand side. An advanced version of
>> that would make it even possible to drag the split line around. I
>> don't know how hard it would be to do that, but I think it's a
>> feasible idea to try to implement this …
>

> This sounds like a more tractable approach than redirecting the plots to
> another notebook. It would also mean that the plots were kept together with
> the code that produced them, so you could scroll both parts together.
>
> I think this could work very well. I've seen examples of literate
> programming with description on the left and code on the right
> (http://fitzgen.github.com/pycco/); we could similarly have a notebook
> layout for wide screens which displayed code on the left, output on the
> right.
>
> Thomas

Brian E. Granger