[IPython-User] redirecting plot to separate notebook

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Fri Jan 27 19:51:56 CST 2012

Putting this back on the list because I think it's valuable discussion of
UI.

Aside: the way the lists work means we must keep hitting 'reply all' (at
least in GMail), which isn't the case with other mailing lists. Is this
something we can change?

On 28 January 2012 01:36, Harald Schilly <harald.schilly@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I wonder: if a user's first language is written right-to-left, when they
> are
> > writing code left-to-right, will it feel more natural to have [output <-
> > code] or [code -> output].
>
> … also, consider the difference between left-and-right handed people.

Does that make a difference to how you perceive information on screen?
Clearly it's relevant to mouse and keyboard interactions, but I don't think
left handedness means that your perception is somehow the other way round.
Left handed English-speakers are still used to reading left-to-right.

> For me, code on the right makes more sense. The reasons is that my
> eyes would have to move less far when switching around. Imagine, you
> are looking at the picture, at average your eyes are in the middle -
> now start reading the code. You have to start at the left of the line,
> and that's closer when the code is on the right hand side of the
> image.

That's an interesting point, although I'm sceptical that the small extra
distance would make any practical difference. I suspect it takes an order
of magnitude more time to find the relevant point within the code.

Thomas