[IPython-User] redirecting plot to separate notebook

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Fri Jan 27 21:46:27 CST 2012

I have played around a little bit with trying to do a two column
layout.  To do this well will require a bit of careful thought and
testing.  The main issue is how to handle horizontal overflow (do we
use two fixed width columns, do we allow each input/output to
horizontally scroll).  The usage/expansion of vertical space is also
something we will have to fine tune.  Also the cell CSS is highly
tuned to the current layout, with pixel-by-pixel padding/margins added
in all the right places to get everything aligned perfectly.  We will
want to encapsulate this logic into reusable css classes that can be
added/removed to change the layout.  Thankfully, the cell HTML markup
is very clean and semantic, with layout done using the flexible box
model.  This makes it quite easy to tweak these things.  YANFTATML
(yet another notebook feature to add to my list...)

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 5:51 PM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@gmail.com> wrote:
> Putting this back on the list because I think it's valuable discussion of
> UI.
>
> Aside: the way the lists work means we must keep hitting 'reply all' (at
> least in GMail), which isn't the case with other mailing lists. Is this
> something we can change?
>
> On 28 January 2012 01:36, Harald Schilly <harald.schilly@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I wonder: if a user's first language is written right-to-left, when they
>> > are
>> > writing code left-to-right, will it feel more natural to have [output <-
>> > code] or [code -> output].
>>
>> … also, consider the difference between left-and-right handed people.
>

> Does that make a difference to how you perceive information on screen?
> Clearly it's relevant to mouse and keyboard interactions, but I don't think
> left handedness means that your perception is somehow the other way round.
> Left handed English-speakers are still used to reading left-to-right.
>

>> For me, code on the right makes more sense. The reasons is that my
>> eyes would have to move less far when switching around. Imagine, you
>> are looking at the picture, at average your eyes are in the middle -
>> now start reading the code. You have to start at the left of the line,
>> and that's closer when the code is on the right hand side of the
>> image.
>

> That's an interesting point, although I'm sceptical that the small extra
> distance would make any practical difference. I suspect it takes an order of
> magnitude more time to find the relevant point within the code.
>
> Thomas

Brian E. Granger