[IPython-User] redirecting plot to separate notebook

Zoltán Vörös zvoros@gmail....
Sat Jan 28 01:57:02 CST 2012

>     that would make it even possible to drag the split line around. I
>     don't know how hard it would be to do that, but I think it's a
>     feasible idea to try to implement this …
>

> This sounds like a more tractable approach than redirecting the plots
> to another notebook. It would also mean that the plots were kept
> together with the code that produced them, so you could scroll both
> parts together.

I have the feeling that while this might sound easier, it might also
kill the whole point of the idea: what if the output is longer than the
input

x = linspace(0, 10, 100)
plot(sin(x))

will create a figure which is bound to be bigger than these two lines.
Now, will the two boxes (input/output) have the same height? If so, then
we are back to square one, for the code will "move" on the screen. One
way out of this could be to use frames, so that the boxes could be
scrolled, but in my opinion, frames are quite ugly, besides, if the
frame on the right hand side (output/plot) is as tall as the one for the
code, then one would have to scroll the figure to see it. That does not
sound right.

The problem about separating the code and the output (I think, Thomas
brought this up later in the discussion) is not a serious one, I
believe: if you need them in the same notebook, then you simply re-run
the code notebook with this separation option switched off. By the way,
is it possible to execute all input cells in a notebook with a single
keystroke?

For these reasons, I would be in favour of a solution that could
completely detach the output from the input. I might very well be wrong,
but as far I remember, Fernando showed something similar in his
presentation that he also linked in the notebook tour: he was typing in
one notebook, and the variables appeared in the other one.

This might be a very naive idea, but couldn't this be handled by
silencing the output on one side (this is probably the easy part), and
then have another notebook on the other side, and that notebook would
just listen to the same kernel, and whenever a printable output or plot
is created, it would display it.

Cheers,
Zoltán