[IPython-User] IPython Machine Image: Best packages and extensions for Ubuntu?

Julian Taylor jtaylor.debian@googlemail....
Mon Jul 9 12:32:13 CDT 2012

On 07/09/2012 03:23 AM, Carl Smith wrote:
> Done. The new version of the AMI is up. Any new instance launched will
> use it. Everything seems to be working from what I can test, but
> there's a fair amount of packages I've added that I'm not familiar
> with. God willing, it'll all be ok, but let me know if anything's
> broken and I'll get it fixed straight away.

It might be a good idea to add some preconfigured apparmor wrappers to
the ami to allow opening up an instance to the public.

Apparmor is a Linux security module providing mandatory access control
and is very well supported in Ubuntu.
Compared to SELinux it restricts on a per application level which makes
it very well suited for the ipython notebook.

It would allow restricting a notebook process to only read what it must
and only write to a working directory which significantly reduces the
attack surface.

Unfortunately I seemed to have misplaced a profile I created for 0.11,
but it should not be much work to recreate it if there is interest.