[IPython-User] IPython Machine Image: Best packages and extensions for Ubuntu?

Julian Taylor jtaylor.debian@googlemail....
Tue Jul 10 11:49:08 CDT 2012

On 07/10/2012 03:09 AM, Carl Smith wrote:
> Fernando, is this something you think NBC should include? I'll be
> honest, I don't understand what it'd be used for. I don't expect a long
> explaination, I'll look into it more at my end. I just wasn't sure
> Julian was familiar with NBC in particular and don't know much about
> this kind of security to discuss it properly.
>
> Sorry if I'm being ignorant Julian. I lack experience and just struggle
> to keep up at times. If you put me right on stuff, I'm keen to learn.

if used correctly the risk of running an unsecured public ami is rather
low, if someone steals it you can just terminate it, change your
password and start a new one. There should be nothing valuable on the
instance at any time.
But this assumes you even notice your machine has been compromised.

Anyone obtaining illegitimate write access to an unsandboxed notebook is
free to do whatever he wants with the underlying machine, e.g. monitor
your traffic for passwords, use it as a proxy for other attacks, spam
people etc.

Though if the notebooks spawned by nbc are usually only used for short
durations, it is not a particular critical issue.