[IPython-User] ipython notebook server experience

Skipper Seabold jsseabold@gmail....
Wed Jul 11 09:08:36 CDT 2012

Hi,

I had my first experience using the IPython notebook server in a
classroom setting this week. The students mostly liked it, but I'm
afraid they were mostly Python novices and I may have learned more
than they did. In any case, I'm hooked and see many possibilities.
Great work.

I'm curious about a couple of things. Is the same notebook intended to
be run by multiple users connected to the same server? Would it make
sense to have an option for copy-on-open that could be set in global
settings with the default to the current behavior? Relatedly and i
don't know if this make sense, but is it possible to have these copied
notebooks not show up in the directory? Ie., I have a set of examples
that can serve as templates, but no one is interested in seeing the
copies of others or new files created by others in the list.

I also saw fairly poor performance due to our server. I currently only
have two virtual processors allocated on this machine. I'm curious
what others have found to be satisfactory for notebook servers (or
similar endeavors) with say 10-30 concurrent users. I can request more
resources.

The last thing I noticed is that the Clusters tab seemed to start and
assign processes on its own. At least none of the students owned up to
setting 100 processes and clicking start. Expected? Ghost in the
machine? Or sneaky student?

Thanks,

Skipper