[IPython-User] ipycli - command line support for notebooks

Paul Ivanov pivanov314@gmail....
Wed Jul 11 23:09:08 CDT 2012

Hi Dale,

I like the general idea of being able to add more directories to
an already running server, so this is neat!

is the intent here to be a standalone replacement for ipython
notebook, or an eventual PR to ipython notebook entry point?

The reason I ask is that I took a brief look and it looks like
you just took the entire IPython/frontend/html/notebook directory
as your starting point, and copied it over, but many of the files
have no changes to in them (zmqhttp.py, kernelmanager.py,
clustermanager.py and __init__.py are identical).

Of the remaining that do have changes, it seems like you can
get away with a cleaner implementation just by subclassing
NotebookWebApplication, adding the few new handlers, and
modifying the sigint handling, instead of copying that entire
file wholesale and then adding in your modifications.

In short, I encourage you to re-use the relevant portions of
IPython as a library. This way you'll have the benefit of not
having to keep porting changes that get committed to IPython that
fix bugs or add new features which are orthogonal to the changes
you've made to enable the functionality ipycli provides.

best,
--
Paul Ivanov
314 address only used for lists,  off-list direct email at: