[IPython-User] ipycli - command line support for notebooks

Carl Smith carl.input@gmail....
Thu Jul 12 21:30:24 CDT 2012

I would suggest just creating a magic that can open a notebook, given
a path to it, using a bit of JavaScript.

If you then started new IPython Notebook sessions with a new, empty
notebook, instead of the dashboard, the user could do everything Brian
suggested regarding the file system from within that notebook, and
open any other notebooks whenever they wanted with the magic.

You could add the options to open a notebook in the same tab, and
either save and close the current notebook, or just delete it.

Then there's no need for the dashboard at all and the Open... option
in the File menu can be gotten rid of too.

Maybe I've missed something, but I just thought I'd add my two pennies.