[IPython-User] ipycli - command line support for notebooks

Junkshops junkshops@gmail....
Fri Jul 13 11:59:55 CDT 2012

On 7/12/2012 7:30 PM, Carl Smith wrote:
> I would suggest just creating a magic that can open a notebook, given
> a path to it, using a bit of JavaScript.
>
> If you then started new IPython Notebook sessions with a new, empty
> notebook, instead of the dashboard, the user could do everything Brian
> suggested regarding the file system from within that notebook, and
> open any other notebooks whenever they wanted with the magic.
>
> You could add the options to open a notebook in the same tab, and
> either save and close the current notebook, or just delete it.
>
> Then there's no need for the dashboard at all and the Open... option
> in the File menu can be gotten rid of too.
>
> Maybe I've missed something, but I just thought I'd add my two pennies.
> I think cluster controls and drag and drop uploads can be done from
> within a notebook too.
I assume this is all fine for advanced users, but my 2bits as an IPython
newbie is that the dashboard and file menus make IPy much more
user-friendly for new users. I'd recommend keeping the dashboard and the
file/engine tabs as the default, but perhaps there could be a command
line option to disable the dashboard and start instead with a bare
notebook when connecting to the nbserver.

I guess I don't understand why having the File>open menuitem is a
drawback. Again, it's friendly to new users as opposed to having to look
up a magic command.

Cheers, Gavin