[IPython-User] ipycli - command line support for notebooks

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Fri Jul 13 18:09:52 CDT 2012

Carl,

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 10:23 AM, Carl Smith <carl.input@gmail.com> wrote:
> Each to their own. I never got the dashboard myself. I don't think it makes
> sense to have two interfaces when one of them can already do everything the
> other is meant to do.
>
> Google docs is different because a doc can't manage other docs.

I want to understand your view on this.  In my view, each notebook is
a document, just like Google Docs.  In fact much of the design on the
current notebook app is a blatant rip off of Google Docs.  In your
mind, how does the notebook differ from Google Docs?

> If other people like the dashboard, that's cool. There's nothing really
> wrong with it. I'm just a minimalist.

We are pretty minimalist as well.  Initially I thought about going in
the direction you are talking about = having no dashboard and a more
complex UI in the notebook page.  What I found though is that the
notebook page grew a lot of complexity that made it feel less simple.

Cheers,

Brian

> On Jul 13, 2012 5:59 PM, "Junkshops" <junkshops@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 7/12/2012 7:30 PM, Carl Smith wrote:
>> > I would suggest just creating a magic that can open a notebook, given
>> > a path to it, using a bit of JavaScript.
>> >
>> > If you then started new IPython Notebook sessions with a new, empty
>> > notebook, instead of the dashboard, the user could do everything Brian
>> > suggested regarding the file system from within that notebook, and
>> > open any other notebooks whenever they wanted with the magic.
>> >
>> > You could add the options to open a notebook in the same tab, and
>> > either save and close the current notebook, or just delete it.
>> >
>> > Then there's no need for the dashboard at all and the Open... option
>> > in the File menu can be gotten rid of too.
>> >
>> > Maybe I've missed something, but I just thought I'd add my two pennies.
>> > I think cluster controls and drag and drop uploads can be done from
>> > within a notebook too.
>> I assume this is all fine for advanced users, but my 2bits as an IPython
>> newbie is that the dashboard and file menus make IPy much more
>> user-friendly for new users. I'd recommend keeping the dashboard and the
>> file/engine tabs as the default, but perhaps there could be a command
>> line option to disable the dashboard and start instead with a bare
>> notebook when connecting to the nbserver.
>>
>> I guess I don't understand why having the File>open menuitem is a
>> drawback. Again, it's friendly to new users as opposed to having to look
>> up a magic command.
>>
>> Cheers, Gavin

Brian E. Granger