[IPython-User] ipycli - command line support for notebooks

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Fri Jul 13 23:28:05 CDT 2012

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 7:05 PM, Kent Inverarity
<kent.inverarity@adelaide.edu.au> wrote:
> I'd like to add a vote in for the continued presence of the dashboard, and
> for Brian's idea for incorporating multiple directories in the dashboard. I
> have no need at all for a fully-fledged file manager, just a means to switch
> between project dirs. And only an "Open" dialog doesn't fit that idea of a
> project dir at all.

One other issue we need to work out:

What if I have a git repo at ~/foo, that has subdirectories, bar and
bam, each with notebooks.  With the model I propose, how does the user
register the project?  Do they register ~/foo and we automatically
scan that dir and all subdirs for notebooks?  Or do we require them to
separately add ~/foo/bar and ~/foo/bam as projects dirs?

My intuition is to go with the first option and include the last part
of the path in the notebook name in the dashboard like:

bam/notebook1.ipynb
bar/notebook3.ipynb

That would enable a user to add an entire directory tree of notebooks
in one quick step.

> Also probably worth considering that an awful lot of users hate the command
> line, even for simple things like changing directories.

How do you feel about requiring users to use the command line for more
advanced things such as:

* Moving notebooks between directories.
* Renaming directories.
* Copying entire projects.