[IPython-User] ipycli - command line support for notebooks

Kent Inverarity kent.inverarity@adelaide.edu...
Sat Jul 14 02:53:46 CDT 2012

On Jul 14, 2012 1:58 PM, "Brian Granger" <ellisonbg@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 7:05 PM, Kent Inverarity
> <kent.inverarity@adelaide.edu.au> wrote:
> > I'd like to add a vote in for the continued presence of the dashboard,
and
> > for Brian's idea for incorporating multiple directories in the
dashboard. I
> > have no need at all for a fully-fledged file manager, just a means to
switch
> > between project dirs. And only an "Open" dialog doesn't fit that idea
of a
> > project dir at all.
>
> One other issue we need to work out:
>
> What if I have a git repo at ~/foo, that has subdirectories, bar and
> bam, each with notebooks.  With the model I propose, how does the user
> register the project?  Do they register ~/foo and we automatically
> scan that dir and all subdirs for notebooks?  Or do we require them to
> separately add ~/foo/bar and ~/foo/bam as projects dirs?
>
> My intuition is to go with the first option and include the last part
> of the path in the notebook name in the dashboard like:
>
> bam/notebook1.ipynb
> bar/notebook3.ipynb
>
> That would enable a user to add an entire directory tree of notebooks
> in one quick step.
>
> > Also probably worth considering that an awful lot of users hate the
command
> > line, even for simple things like changing directories.
>
> How do you feel about requiring users to use the command line for more
> advanced things such as:
>
> * Moving notebooks between directories.
> * Renaming directories.
> * Copying entire projects.
> * etc?

I don't see that as a problem, because everyone's used to doing that,
whether in a shell or using something like Windows Explorer. It'd be good
to have in the dashboard, but not as  necessary as changing the project
directory.

> > With a dashboard
> > that allows you to change dirs, the local-user use scenario doesn't
require
> > you to use the command line at all beyond the initial launch, which can
be
> > wrapped up into a shortcut, etc.
>

> > Cheers
> >
> > Kent
> >

> > On 14 July 2012 08:39, Brian Granger <ellisonbg@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Carl,

> >> I want to understand your view on this.  In my view, each notebook is
> >> a document, just like Google Docs.  In fact much of the design on the
> >> current notebook app is a blatant rip off of Google Docs.  In your
> >> mind, how does the notebook differ from Google Docs?

> >> We are pretty minimalist as well.  Initially I thought about going in
> >> the direction you are talking about = having no dashboard and a more
> >> complex UI in the notebook page.  What I found though is that the
> >> notebook page grew a lot of complexity that made it feel less simple.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Brian

option