[IPython-User] IPython Notebook as a web app ~ quick debrief

Carl Smith carl.input@gmail....
Sat Jul 14 10:16:35 CDT 2012

I just wanted to post a bit about my experience using IPython Notebook
as a web app. It seems to be a very different paradigm.

The most obvious difference is that you tend to view everything from
the outside in. The underlying OS becomes a component of the web app,
rather than the other way round.

When I go to NotebookCloud, I have some Notebook instances in a
'rack', with buttons on the front for stopping, starting, rebooting
and terminating them. When I go to one of my instances, I go to the
Notebook. That's my sole interface. If it can't be done in the
Notebook, then it can't be done. I guess this is why I'm more keen
than most to see stdin implemented.

The features that the stack provides are simply features of the
Notebook. For example, the Notebook has a file system which is not
entirely based on the underlying OS. You can attach virtual drives to
it, and do other stuff that's abnormal. To NBC users, these are all
just features of the Notebook, not Ubuntu or AWS.

>From this perspective, the Notebook replaces the command line and the
desktop environment, providing a new, unified interface. Further, this
interface is used for accessing computing and storage capacity in
general, as a utility, rather than a lump of actual hardware. I
eventually expect to do personal computing through it too, so
uploading photos from my phone to my Notebook's file system should be
a natural as pushing them to Picasa.

I know this all sounds a bit emacs, and I called myself a minimalist,
but I'm really looking to replace a lot of other tools with this one.

I just wanted to share this.

Thanks again

Carl