[IPython-User] Refactoring in ipynb

junkshops@gmai... junkshops@gmai...
Sat Jul 14 11:54:56 CDT 2012

The fact that the ipynb saves all your variables in memory is great, but it
makes refactoring a little more tricky since you have to remember to delete
your old function/variable names. Otherwise, if you miss changing a name
somewhere it can lead to hard to fix bugs since the old variable/function
still exists but is invisible to the user.

How do people deal with this other than being extremely careful when
refactoring? I've taken to restarting the kernel after I make extensive
changes to make sure I haven't forgotten to delete any variables, but I
assume some of the more experienced users have better methods. I'd
definitely be interested in suggestions.

Cheers, Gavin