[IPython-User] an idea for a magic

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Jul 17 03:07:37 CDT 2012

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 4:47 PM, John Hunter <jdh2358@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been thinking about toggling inline and non-inline toggle figures.  Eg
> suppose I am demo-ing mplot3d and want to pop a figure out of the notebook
> for some interaction. It appears this is still not fully baked according to
> the issue
>
> https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/1927
>
> I had an idea for something simple.  A common use case , for me at least, is
> to have a cell that represents a complete figure, eg it doesn't rely on the
> cells above except for the plt and np imports.  One could have a "popout"
> magic, where you decorate a cell with "%popout gtkagg" or something like
> that.  It creates a tempfile with the np and plt imports then all the code
> from the cell, then does a shebang python on the tempfile.  Voila, your
> figure pops up for interactive navigation.

You may recall you and I got it partly working in India, but I didn't
follow up to finalize the code and it has unfortunately bitrotted
completely.

Here at scipy, I've been using my immense powers of persuasion to
convince Ryan May that getting this done is his next calling in life.
We'll see how that goes.