[IPython-User] Installing ipython dependencies

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Fri Jul 20 05:53:05 CDT 2012

On 20 July 2012 11:06, Felix Patzelt <felix@neuro.uni-bremen.de> wrote:
> Further, easy_install ipython[zmq] also fails because distribute only tries
> to install pyzmq and requires zmq to be installed first. Installing zmq
> from source fails, because it can't find uuid-devel. It's all a huge
> pain.

As far as I know, easy_install can't describe non-Python dependencies,
so there's not a lot we can do at our end to make that easier.

It might be possible to use a tool like cx_Freeze to collect all the
libraries IPython is using on a more up to date Linux system, and copy
the whole folder across. But there could be problems with that
approach - I haven't thought about it much.

Can you install (or persuade admins to install) a few newer packages
from other repositories? For starting engines, I think zmq should be
the only thing you need.

Thomas