[IPython-User] Installing ipython dependencies

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Mon Jul 23 15:14:14 CDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 11:15 AM, MinRK <benjaminrk@gmail.com> wrote:
> It is a bug in the docs that [qtconsole] is mentioned, because it does not
> exist.  The dependencies of the qtconsole (Qt/PyQT) are not
> easy_installable, so it doesn't make a lot of sense for it to be there.

Currently, our extras_require listing is:

    setup_args['extras_require'] = dict(
        parallel = 'pyzmq>=2.1.4',
        zmq = 'pyzmq>=2.1.4',
        doc = 'Sphinx>=0.3',
        test = 'nose>=0.10.1',
        notebook = 'tornado>=2.0'
    )

but the docs read:

If you have :mod:`distribute` installed and you are on OS X or Linux (not
Windows), the following will download and install IPython *and* the main
optional dependencies:

.. code-block:: bash

    $ easy_install ipython[zmq,qtconsole,notebook,test]

This will get:

- pyzmq, needed for IPython's parallel computing features, qt console and
  notebook.
- pygments, used by the Qt console for syntax highlighting.
- tornado, needed by the web-based notebook
- nose, used by the test suite.

So we're indeed lying (there's no qtconsole target) but in addition
there's no way to get pygments as a dep.  Since pyqt itself isn't
installable with pip/easy_install, I'm wondering how to go about
offering a dependency that pulls pygments in.

My inclination right now would be to add it as a notebook dep, since
very soon it will be anyways (to convert notebooks).  Objections?