[IPython-User] Installing ipython dependencies

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Mon Jul 23 15:33:56 CDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 11:15 AM, MinRK <benjaminrk@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It is a bug in the docs that [qtconsole] is mentioned, because it does not
>> exist.  The dependencies of the qtconsole (Qt/PyQT) are not
>> easy_installable, so it doesn't make a lot of sense for it to be there.
>
> Currently, our extras_require listing is:
>
>     setup_args['extras_require'] = dict(
>         parallel = 'pyzmq>=2.1.4',
>         zmq = 'pyzmq>=2.1.4',
>         doc = 'Sphinx>=0.3',
>         test = 'nose>=0.10.1',
>         notebook = 'tornado>=2.0'
>     )
>
> but the docs read:
>

> If you have :mod:`distribute` installed and you are on OS X or Linux (not
> Windows), the following will download and install IPython *and* the main
> optional dependencies:
>
> .. code-block:: bash
>
>     $ easy_install ipython[zmq,qtconsole,notebook,test]
>
> This will get:
>
> - pyzmq, needed for IPython's parallel computing features, qt console and
>   notebook.
> - pygments, used by the Qt console for syntax highlighting.
> - tornado, needed by the web-based notebook
> - nose, used by the test suite.
>
> So we're indeed lying (there's no qtconsole target) but in addition
> there's no way to get pygments as a dep.  Since pyqt itself isn't
> installable with pip/easy_install, I'm wondering how to go about
> offering a dependency that pulls pygments in.
>
> My inclination right now would be to add it as a notebook dep, since
> very soon it will be anyways (to convert notebooks).  Objections?

None from me.  Is there a way to do ipython['all'] that gets all of:

pyzmq, pygments, tornado, nose

And eventually jinja, etc.

Then we can also display a message like:

QtConsole requires Qt and bindings, which must be installed separately
nbconvert may require pandoc, latex, and/or inkscape depending on your
usage, which must be installed separately

-MinRK