[IPython-User] Reusable notebooks

Adam Hughes hughesadam87@gmail....
Mon Jul 23 17:30:39 CDT 2012

You know Thomas, I was thinking a bit about how to bridge this gap between
purely exploratory analysis and pure scripting using the notebook.  I think
there's a very elegant conceptual construct to let the user split the
difference at will.

I was thinking maybe the concept of a checkpoint.  Imagine you have 20
cells of code that works and you don't want to have to keep rerunning it
because that could be time consuming or resource costly.  Instead, you tell
the notebook to save a checkpoint and it could temporarily store all the
necessary data structures at that last cell.  Then, the user could simply
start running some exploratory analysis from cells 21 on, and then when the
user chooses to "run from checkpoint", it uses the values stored at cell 20
to initiate cells 20-25.  I think this might be a really simple and
powerful way to fix this issue.  It would be cool because I send the
checkpoint data to students and friends a branching off point for their own
work.  Does anything like this exist yet?

I would be interested to know what developers think of this idea,
especially in regard to how difficult it would be to implement from those
who actually know what goes on under the hood.