[IPython-User] Reusable notebooks

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Mon Jul 23 17:48:01 CDT 2012

On 23 July 2012 23:30, Adam Hughes <hughesadam87@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was thinking maybe the concept of a checkpoint.  Imagine you have 20 cells
> of code that works and you don't want to have to keep rerunning it because
> that could be time consuming or resource costly.  Instead, you tell the
> notebook to save a checkpoint and it could temporarily store all the
> necessary data structures at that last cell.  Then, the user could simply
> start running some exploratory analysis from cells 21 on, and then when the
> user chooses to "run from checkpoint", it uses the values stored at cell 20
> to initiate cells 20-25.  I think this might be a really simple and powerful
> way to fix this issue.  It would be cool because I send the checkpoint data
> to students and friends a branching off point for their own work.  Does
> anything like this exist yet?

It's a very interesting idea, and I don't think anything quite like
that does exist yet.

One idea we've had knocking around for a while is to integrate dill
[1] with IPython to provide some sort of 'snapshot' capability, where
you can save the interpreter state and come back to it later. Of
course, data in files or on the network may change in the meantime,
but there are probably many cases where that's not a problem. If you'd
like to develop something around that - perhaps initially as an
extension [2], I think you'd definitely get some interest.

[1] http://dev.danse.us/trac/pathos/wiki/dill
[2] http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/stable/config/extensions/index.html

Best wishes,
Thomas