[IPython-User] Emacs IPython Noteboo: Inline images

Markus Baden markus.baden@gmail....
Thu Jul 26 05:14:40 CDT 2012

Hi,

I just started playing with the Emacs IPython Notebook (EIN) [1] and I am
very impressed so far. However, I don't know how to get inline images
working. My system is a new install of IPython 0.12.1 on Ubuntu 12.04. My
emacs is 24.1. As suggested in the docs [2], I installed EIN via el-get and
it works fine. That is, I can edit and execute cells without a problem.
However if I try to plot, e.g.

In [9]:
x = linspace(0, 9, 100)
y = sin(x)
plot(x, y)
Out [9]:
[<matplotlib.lines.Line2D at 0x9d27eec>]

I do not get the image displayed as in the screen shots of EIN. If I add a
show() at the end of the code above, a new window opens and the plot is
shown correctly, but the execution of the cell is blocked until I close the
window. I am somewhat familiar with both ipython and emacs, but have no
clue where to look to in order to get the inline images working. So any
pointer would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Markus

[1] https://github.com/tkf/emacs-ipython-notebook