[IPython-User] ipython package import mechanism exhibits different behaviour

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Mon Jul 30 07:33:50 CDT 2012

On 30 July 2012 09:03, Antony Lee <antony.lee@berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Is that behaviour a bug, or documented somewhere?

It looks like a bug, and I think it's specific to numpy.

Something in the startup of IPython must be importing numpy before it
sets up the path to include the working directory, so it gets the
system copy instead of the local copy. That will also be slowing down
startup.

A look in sys.modules suggests that we're also loading simplejson,
paramiko, multiprocessing and unittest, none of which I think we need
for regular use. I'll investigate.

Thomas