[IPython-User] Cell magics and extensions

gyro funch gyromagnetic@gmail....
Fri Jun 8 05:45:38 CDT 2012

On 2012-06-06 6:26 PM, Thomas Kluyver wrote:
> A recent pull request for a graphviz %%dot cell magic [1] brings up
> some questions about our scope.
>
> What range of extensions do we envisage shipping with IPython?
> Obviously there's a lot of possibilities for the new cell magics, but
> in my opinion the benefit of an extension system is that things like
> this can live outside the main repository and be installed separately.
>
> What more can we do for third party extensions? As a minimum, I think
> we should have a list of available extensions, perhaps on
> wiki.ipython.org .
>
> We can easily install extensions inside IPython with the %install_ext
> magic. Should we make it easier to install extensions outside IPython
> - e.g. by finding a way to register them on PyPI and install them with
> pip? Further ahead, if there are important extensions, would it be
> easy for distributions to package them?
>
> [1] https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/1854
>
> Thanks,
> Thomas

As you probably know, a number of projects have git repositories for
this purpose. For instance, TextMate keeps a repository of bundles
in their own git repository and on GitHub
(https://github.com/textmate/).

Analogous to your idea of %install_ext, a user-written bundle in
TextMate can be used to query and install other bundles from the
repository.

Best regards,
gyro