[IPython-User] Possible to use web-socket-js wrapper?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sat Jun 9 18:23:54 CDT 2012

On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 4:01 PM, debjan <otrov@hush.ai> wrote:
> IE8 does support HTML5 partially like all other browsers, maybe
> less then rest thou. IE10 preview, limits usability to Windows 7.
> What HTML5/CSS3 feature does Notebook require, that IE8 could not
> support?
>
> Screenshot of IE8 browser in action: http://i.imgur.com/gGyV5.png
>
> Thanks for sockets.io suggestion. Can you give me some pointers
> what needs to be tweaked in Notebook source? On which files should
> I concentrate? I've never done any serious js before
>
> If my questions are too ambitious, I'll understand lack of reply :)

I don't want to sound hostile, please understand it's simply a matter
of limited resources: our team's expertise is already weakest on
Windows to begin with, as very few of us use it regularly.
Furthermore, we've had already quite a few headaches getting even the
very newest versions of Chrome and Firefox to work reliably with the
notebook: there's a lot of code under the hood that is fiddly and
time-consuming to test, and we keep finding problems even with these
brand-new browsers.

And finally, browser testing is very time consuming, as many of these
issues boil down to staring at the screen and seeing rendering
oddities.  With a small core team that is already running behind on
managing code we *can* handle, IE8 testing just isn't going to happen.

So in practice, I can tell you that the likelihood of supporting IE8
is more or less zero from us.  Sorry if this isn't what you want to
hear, but with limited resources and lofty goals, we have to be very
pragmatic.

When IE10 comes out, we'll certainly revisit this question, as from
the looks of it IE 10 will be a functioning web browser for today's
internet and hopefully thing will work much better.  But until that
happens, our answer on Windows will continue to be Chrome/Firefox, I'm
afraid.