[IPython-User] Debug code on ipengine in IDE (Re: Question about schedulers)

Aaron Meurer asmeurer@gmail....
Mon Jun 11 00:20:10 CDT 2012

On Jun 8, 2012, at 6:37 PM, MinRK <benjaminrk@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 5:53 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM, Jon Olav Vik <jonovik@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Incidentally, I discovered that I can execute the ipengine code directly
> >> in my python IDE and set break points in my user code modules and when I
> >> execute functions from remote clients/views, it will hit the break
> >> points and let me debug my code visually (in the running engine). Pretty
> >> sweet. Though I'd share.
> >
> > Brilliant! This works in Eclipse PyDev on Windows too. What I did:
>
> We really need a tips and tricks section in the wiki...
>
> Min, do you want to kick on a thread off the conversation we had about
> the wiki?  I'm happy to revisit that, I'm just not sure we have the
> bandwidth for one more conversation quite now ;)

I think we can discuss that at another time, when we aren't gearing up for
SciPy tutorials and trying to draw the lines around a 0.13 release.

But the gist: Every day I find my dislike of mediawiki and rst growing, and
I think for high visibility / low barrier for edits, a GitHub wiki might be
an improvement, at least for FAQ / tips&tricks / links type stuff.

-MinRK

We moved our SymPy wiki from MediaWiki/Google Code to GitHub a while ago,
and I would recommend it. Markdown is the best markup language IMHO (and it
also supports rst for more complex documents). Also, the ability to edit
the files with your text editor and manage them with git is a huge plus.

Some heads up: merging the wikis is a task. Gollum's MediaWiki parser isn't
really good. You'll likely want to convert them to Markdown or rst. We've
only gotten our pages converted through a lot of volunteer work, and we
still have some very old pages that still have formatting problems. If you
are regular expression savvy this is where the ability to edit the files
locally will come in handy, but it can be tricky, especially with images.
There's also the question of getting the files out of MediaWiki, but I'm
sure there are scripts to do that. Getting old pages to redirect is
probably possible but also probably difficult (unless someone has also
already made a nice solution for that too). We never made the effort to do
it.

Second, Gollum is a tad buggy, especially when it comes to non-Markdown
formats as I mentioned. But it is open source and their development team
seems friendly enough.

Finally, you'll note that it's a step down from MediaWiki in terms of
features. It doesn't even attempt to do merges, for example, and doesn't
have a live preview functionality (yet). It's best to edit files locally
and let git do the merging in my experience.

But the pluses are that it's all local and with git, meaning you have the
whole wiki including history backed up to every clone, as well as the other
powerful features of git like merging and diffs  And it's very easy for
anyone with a GitHub account to edit it with the web interface(caveat: if
they want to add an image, they have to do it through git, so they either
have to have repo push access or fork the wiki and get someone with repo
access to merge it, or just get them to upload the file for them.  You
cannot grant push access to the wiki without also granting it to the repo
that it sits on).

If you are considering it, I might recommend turning the wiki on (if it
isn't already; I don't have Internet now as I'm writing this, so I can't
check) and test it, and you'll soon discover if if you think it's worth the
switch.  The downside of this is the confusion that comes from having two
wikis (but hey, at one point SymPy had three wikis).

But yeah, turning on the GitHub wiki is something you can do now, but
migrating the old one is definitely something that you'll want to wait
until you have the bandwidth and/or volunteers for.

Aaron Meurer