[IPython-User] reference tracking in ipython notebook?

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Mon Jun 11 05:31:56 CDT 2012

On 11 June 2012 06:18, Mike Schachter <mike.schachter@gmail.com> wrote:
> if there is any sort of built-in
> reference management tool?

In a word: no ;-)

You're more than welcome to build something, and I think it would be a
really interesting addition. Reference management is a big job,
though. If you haven't already come across them, have a look at some
existing systems that we might be able to use or connect to:

- Bibtex: Old school standard. We already have some latex support,
using Mathjax, but I doubt it's up to handling references.
- Zotero: Open source reference manager. Syncs references with an
online library.
- Mendeley: Another cross-platform, standards-friendly reference
manager, albeit not open source.
- Wikipedia: The citation format there might provide some inspiration.
In particular, you can feed it a DOI, and a bot will fill out all the
details for the reference.

Thanks,
Thomas