[IPython-User] Tagging figures displayed in pylab-inline

K Krish neurotheory2012@gmail....
Wed Jun 13 05:41:27 CDT 2012

Hello IPython team,

I have a webpage built on top of the infrastructure of the notebook app to
run custom algorithms on a server and display plots on the browser. I'm
using pylab=inline mode to display the plots on the webpage. However,
because of the way the notebook infrastructure is currently set up,
whenever the server sends a figure(message type display_data) the content
is fit into a container by creating a new  <div> which is appended to a
cell.

Here's my question:
I would like to choose the container to append the figure to depending on
the type of figure -- so I need to include additional metadata/header info
with my json message on the server side. Is there a clean way to do this
without mucking around the IPython core?

Any comment is greatly appreciated!
-NT