[IPython-User] Installation problems with IPython 0.12.1 on Windows XP SP3 and Python 2.7.3

eat e.antero.tammi@gmail....
Wed Jun 13 16:10:22 CDT 2012

Hi,
On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 10:44 PM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13 June 2012 20:35, eat <e.antero.tammi@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Both installation exe's don't produce any error, nor they produce any
> > IPython folder into the Startup-menu (and associated links to various
> > profiles and docs therein).
>
> It sounds like you didn't have distribute installed. If you install
> that, and try installing IPython again, you should get shortcuts.
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/distribute#installation-instructions

That indeed makes the installation to produce the IPython startup menu
entry but with only basic shortcuts (just various profiles).

> We don't know of a way to avoid that requirement on Windows - any help
> on that front would be great.
>
> > If, as it seems now, it's going to be so simple to finish the
> installation, could someone provide the proper cmd-line arguments for the
> various > profiles (like pylab, scipy, ...) cause the syntax seems to be
> changed since 0.10.2.
>
> Pylab:
> ipython --pylab
>
> For any profile (I don't think we have a scipy profile):
> ipython --profile foo

Does it mean that some of the previous profiles are not anymore supported?
Also (as still a minor inconvenience), no shortcuts to docs (.pdf and
.html) are created.

Thanks a lot,
-eat