[IPython-User] Installation problems with IPython 0.12.1 on Windows XP SP3 and Python 2.7.3

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Wed Jun 13 16:41:22 CDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 2:10 PM, eat <e.antero.tammi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 10:44 PM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 13 June 2012 20:35, eat <e.antero.tammi@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Both installation exe's don't produce any error, nor they produce any
>> > IPython folder into the Startup-menu (and associated links to various
>> > profiles and docs therein).
>>
>> It sounds like you didn't have distribute installed. If you install
>> that, and try installing IPython again, you should get shortcuts.
>>
>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/distribute#installation-instructions
>
> That indeed makes the installation to produce the IPython startup menu
> entry but with only basic shortcuts (just various profiles).
>

>> We don't know of a way to avoid that requirement on Windows - any help
>> on that front would be great.
>>
>> > If, as it seems now, it's going to be so simple to finish the
>> installation, could someone provide the proper cmd-line arguments for the
>> various > profiles (like pylab, scipy, ...) cause the syntax seems to be
>> changed since 0.10.2.
>>
>> Pylab:
>> ipython --pylab
>>
>> For any profile (I don't think we have a scipy profile):
>> ipython --profile foo
>>
> Does it mean that some of the previous profiles are not anymore supported?
> Also (as still a minor inconvenience), no shortcuts to docs (.pdf and
> .html) are created.

Yes, some of the previous profiles no longer exist.  The main missing one
is the shell profile, which used lots of the machinery that has been
totally rewritten in 0.11.  We would love for someone to step up and update
the shell profile, but so far nobody has cared to do so.

The docs are no longer part of the install - the online docs are available:
http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/rel-0.12.1/

And you can download them in a zipfile if you want from:
https://github.com/ipython/ipython-doc/tree/gh-pages