[IPython-User] Debug code on ipengine in IDE (Re: Question about schedulers)

Aaron Meurer asmeurer@gmail....
Wed Jun 13 23:44:57 CDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 3:02 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 10:20 PM, Aaron Meurer <asmeurer@gmail.com> wrote:
>> We moved our SymPy wiki from MediaWiki/Google Code to GitHub a while ago,
>> and I would recommend it. Markdown is the best markup language IMHO (and it
>> also supports rst for more complex documents). Also, the ability to edit the
>> files with your text editor and manage them with git is a huge plus.
>
> [...]
>
> Aaron, many thanks for your detailed feedback, it sounds like a vote
> for moving to GH, despite the reservations we had that led to deciding
> on mediawiki (I'm always happy to revisit these decisions as we see
> how well they work in real life).

By the way, another reason that we moved was that Ondrej was tired of
hosting and maintaining the wiki on his own server. I don't know how
you guys feel about that.

> And in our case, I suspect the pain would be pretty minimal for two reasons:
>
> - our wiki is pretty small to begin with

Ah, it is.  You have ~60 pages, compared to ~250 pages in the SymPy
wiki (partly because we tend to use a wiki-based development format
and partly because we ask all our GSoC applicants to put the
applications on the wiki).  Your wiki also seems to be more well
maintained, in the sense that there are no really old pages (we still
have pages on our wiki mentioning hg, even though SymPy stopped using
it in 2008 or 2009, before I even joined the project).

> - we already use rst in many pages (all?)
>
> The two above mean that it should be very, very straightforward to run
> pandoc manually over the pages we have, by simply copying the rst
> source from an edit box, without having to worry about writing code to
> pull data out of mediawiki.

Oh, so it shouldn't be too difficult.  But do note again that Gollum
tends to have subtle rendering bugs for non-markdown, so it's probably
more along the lines of "copy code into the edit box, save, find minor
formatting errors, and fix".  And like I said, it's even easier if you
can exporot them as files because then you can just add them all at
once using git (but in your case I wouldn't go through the hassle
unless someone else has already written a tool to do it).  Images are
a little more tricky because the links have to be redone, but I just
checked and I guess you guys only have one uploaded image on your
wiki.  I'm not sure how MediaWiki vs. Gollum do internal links in rst.
 They may or may not have to be redone.

> Right now our resources are 100% focused on the 0.13 release and then
> Min and I have to worry about talks/tutorials for Scipy 2012, but this
> is good to know.

Good luck with all that. I wish we could roll out a SymPy release as
fast as you guys seem to be going with 0.13.

> If we really want to go that route, it could even be a sprint topic
> for one or two new volunteers to help with at Scipy, that would not
> require them to dig straight into the main code.

Once again, I recommend just enabling the wiki for now (if you don't
mind having two wikis), and it will start to give you an idea if you
want to move or not.