[IPython-User] reference tracking in ipython notebook?

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Thu Jun 14 18:36:52 CDT 2012

Here is the way I am handling references:

* If I am worried about references, that means I am dealing with LaTeX.
* In that case, I use Raw Text cells for all of my text.
* In those Raw Text cells I put raw LaTeX code, including references.
* I output LaTeX my walking through the notebook JSON structure.

Markdown does't really have a general notion of references, so I don't
think it will be very useful for these types of things, unless you
only have references that are links.

What other ideas do you have?

Cheers,

Brian

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 3:31 AM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11 June 2012 06:18, Mike Schachter <mike.schachter@gmail.com> wrote:
>> if there is any sort of built-in
>> reference management tool?
>
> In a word: no ;-)
>
> You're more than welcome to build something, and I think it would be a
> really interesting addition. Reference management is a big job,
> though. If you haven't already come across them, have a look at some
> existing systems that we might be able to use or connect to:
>
> - Bibtex: Old school standard. We already have some latex support,
> using Mathjax, but I doubt it's up to handling references.
> - Zotero: Open source reference manager. Syncs references with an
> online library.
> - Mendeley: Another cross-platform, standards-friendly reference
> manager, albeit not open source.
> - Wikipedia: The citation format there might provide some inspiration.
> In particular, you can feed it a DOI, and a bot will fill out all the
> details for the reference.
>
> Thanks,
> Thomas

Brian E. Granger