[IPython-User] pylab backend question

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sun Jun 17 19:17:52 CDT 2012

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 10:18 AM, Toby Burnett <tburnett@uw.edu> wrote:
> However, the backend specification in IPython does not support this: is
> there a reason? Pylab itself can be started with any backend.  So, could
> ‘agg’ be added to the list? Of, if DISPLAY is not set, be the result of the
> ‘auto’ option?

Well, if you don't need any of the gui synchronization support, you
don't really need to use any of IPython's special support.   You can
simply do

import matplotlib
matplotlib.use('Agg')

and be done with it.

So I don't see what we need to add on our side, all the special modes
that %pylab supports are strictly for cases you don't need (GUI
backends or automatic inlining of figures).