[IPython-User] pylab backend question

Toby Burnett tburnett@uw....
Mon Jun 18 12:20:36 CDT 2012

Thanks, I could do that if I'm starting an interactive session. However, this use case is:

ipython notebook --profile=notebook --pylab --no-browser --ip=$HOSTNAME

I suppose I could leave off that --pylab and have to have every notebook include those lines, but --pylab=agg would be cleaner.

I prefer not to inline figures, by the way, since display(gcf()) is so easy, and I might not want all generated figure to be inlined.

--Toby

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 10:18 AM, Toby Burnett <tburnett@uw.edu> wrote:
> However, the backend specification in IPython does not support this:
> is there a reason? Pylab itself can be started with any backend.? So,
> could ?agg? be added to the list? Of, if DISPLAY is not set, be the
> result of the ?auto? option?

Well, if you don't need any of the gui synchronization support, you
don't really need to use any of IPython's special support.   You can
simply do

import matplotlib
matplotlib.use('Agg')

and be done with it.

So I don't see what we need to add on our side, all the special modes that %pylab supports are strictly for cases you don't need (GUI backends or automatic inlining of figures).