[IPython-User] Possible to interface Blender?

klo uo klonuo@gmail....
Mon Jun 25 01:55:07 CDT 2012

Hi guys :)

For the first time I compiled IPython3 and it was flawless, unlike I
expected. All dependencies have packages in Ubuntu 12.04 (maybe
ipython3 wiki should correct about PyQt4 not being available) and
"python3 setup.py install" installs in minute, and everything is as
one may wish: ipython launches python 2.x version, and ipython3,
python 3.x version. No need to learn about virtualenv, yet. Great ;)

Now I tried this as I wanted to interface Blender (which uses python3)
with IPython if anyhow possible. Google doesn't show much: Stani (SPE)
apparently made some try in 2009, but from the explanation on his blog
who knows how it worked. AFAIK he is the author of current Blender
Python console wrapper, which maybe just means that IPython is
impossible to "embed" in Blender.

On Windows it's not possible at all because of complicated pyreadline
module. On Ubuntu I can import IPython but that's about it. For
example in Blender Python console:

==============================
from IPython import embed
embed()

result is maxed CPU and pumping memory usage, until I terminate Blender.

Then I read about IPython.embed_kernel() and without knowing what it
does, I launch "ipython3 kernel" in Terminal, import IPython in
Blender and issue "IPython.embed_kernel()". Then Blender freezes, no
CPU usuage, no memory pumping, just freeze.

So, is it at all possible to interface Blender with IPython by any means?

Cheers