[IPython-User] Possible to interface Blender?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Jun 26 15:57:17 CDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 11:34 PM, klo uo <klonuo@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's encouraging. Blender UI AFAIK is coded in OpenGL and whole
> management design can be seen here:
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Source/Architecture/Window_Manager
>
> In the meantime I found that Stani already posted some of his problems
> about embedding IPython, on this mailing list. But that's for older
> IPython and older Blender, now both have different APIs. Also
> embedding IPython partially (as he made in his second try) in
> Blender's text panel, is not what I'm after. Ideally I would like most
> obvious - terminal running IPython interactively with running
> Blander's namespace. But while it's easy to visualize it, as I enjoy
> IPython commodity without knowledge about underlying layers, it's too
> hard (or maybe impossible) for me to do it.

It shouldn't be *too* hard, but it will certainly require getting
acquainted with some of the internals.  These examples from our code
may help you get on the right track (at least conceptually):

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/blob/master/docs/examples/lib/ipkernel_qtapp.py
https://github.com/ipython/ipython/blob/master/docs/examples/lib/ipkernel_wxapp.py

they both rely on this for the kernel:

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/blob/master/docs/examples/lib/internal_ipkernel.py

That code can even be simplified a little, I just haven't had the time
to update it.  But it should show you how the moving parts work.

> Yes, maybe I'm missing something also. I'll try to find who should I
> contact and hopefully get some help. If I find anything useful I'll
> reply again

Best of luck!  I wish we had more bandwidth to dig into this and help
you in detail, but I'm afraid that's not possible right now (at least
for me).