[IPython-User] feature request : auto save ipython notebook file

mqk kuhlen@gmail....
Fri Jun 29 14:16:05 CDT 2012

Apologies for reviving this 3+ months old thread...

I have exactly the same issue as the OP, and have implemented the autosave
function in the startup file, as suggested by Fernando. Works great, but I
think it may be preferable to have the auto-saves be to a slightly different
filename, like $FILENAME.ipynb.autosave or something like that. This would
prevent the saving of unwanted changes that Fernando was rightly concerned
about. I'm aware of the aversion among devs to cluttering up the directory
with autosave files, but I don't share that particular sentiment and would
like to try and implement it for myself.

I see that I can pass a keyword 'name' to save_notebook(), but I'm unsure of
how to get at the notebook's name in the autosave() function. I'm sure it's
a trivial thing. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike