[IPython-User] feature request : auto save ipython notebook file

Matthias Bussonnier bussonniermatthias@gmail....
Fri Jun 29 16:17:15 CDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 9:16 PM, mqk <kuhlen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Apologies for reviving this 3+ months old thread...
>
> I have exactly the same issue as the OP, and have implemented the autosave
> function in the startup file, as suggested by Fernando. Works great, but I
> think it may be preferable to have the auto-saves be to a slightly
> different
> filename, like $FILENAME.ipynb.autosave or something like that. This would
> prevent the saving of unwanted changes that Fernando was rightly concerned
> about. I'm aware of the aversion among devs to cluttering up the directory
> with autosave files, but I don't share that particular sentiment and would
> like to try and implement it for myself.
>
> I see that I can pass a keyword 'name' to save_notebook(), but I'm unsure
> of
> how to get at the notebook's name in the autosave() function. I'm sure it's
> a trivial thing. Any suggestions?

I'm not that sure, if I remember correctly 'save_notebook' is used to
rename the notebook, and you will loose your normal file if you try to do
that.
Right now  the notebook server handler should be refactored to have a 'save
a copy' I think. But we need to discuss that, maybe at scipy.

You can try to dig  around duplicate notebook, but I don't think it will be
of any help either as it won't send the new content to the server.

--
Matthias