[IPython-User] Tab completion problem

Jorge Scandaliaris jorgesmbox-ml@yahoo...
Sat Jun 30 22:11:31 CDT 2012

Hi,

I am using a development version of IPython, and I am seeing some
strange behavior when hitting TAB halfway of typing a command.
Sometimes I get the message:

WARNING: Kernel timeout on tab completion.

Once this happens, I usually hit enter (to clear the above message).
Tab completion then won't work if I retry immediately, but it might
work again after a while. There is an important amount of randomness
in the behavior I just described, so there's no clear recipe for
reproducing it. I start ipython like this:

ipython console --profile=mpl --pylab

The profile mpl contains (I haven't modified the default profile) :
---------------------
c = get_config()
app = c.InteractiveShellApp

# This can be used at any point in a config file to load a sub config
# and merge it into the current one.
load_subconfig('ipython_config.py', profile='default')

lines = """
import numpy as np
import scipy as sp
import matplotlib as mpl
from matplotlib import pyplot as plt
"""

# You have to make sure that attributes that are containers already
# exist before using them.  Simple assigning a new list will override
# all previous values.

if hasattr(app, 'exec_lines'):
    app.exec_lines.append(lines)
else:
    app.exec_lines = [lines]

print 'Loaded mpl profile'

Does anyone else experiences this? Although not critical, it takes a
lot from the using experience

Somehow related, is the console deprecated in favour of qtconsole or
the notebook. I used qtconsole a lot when it appeared, but something
made me go back to the console (i can't remember right now)

Thanks in advance,

Jorge