[IPython-User] mathjax 2.0?

Comer Duncan comer.duncan@gmail....
Thu Mar 1 16:03:42 CST 2012

Hi Brian,

> Here is our issue for tracking this.  Please see this issue.
>
> https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/1313
>
> Currently MathJax 2 is completely broken in the notebook.  To make
> sure you are running MathJax 2, please reload your browser and right
> click on some math to see the "About MathJax" dialog with shows the
> version.
>
> It would be great if you could help us test/debug this and track down
> what is going on here.

Well, I see from your post on the developer's about the above issue
that you say you figured it out...?

I am running cdn with version 2.0 and can not get equations to number
by default as mathjax advertised.  However, I can get equations
numbered by using the \tag{xxx} latex.  I can even get a border around
the equation--with a color and width of my choice.

I have looked at the javascript code notebookmain.js and tried to add
the following just above the MathJax.Hub{xxxxxx} stuff:

MathJax.Hub.Config({
                    TeX: { equationNumbers: { autoNumber: "AMS" } }
                  });
to my local ipython distribution.  I reinstalled ipython and tried
running ipython with sympy, but then _no_ notebook would be displayed
when selected in the Dashboard.

I also tried adding

<script type="text/x-mathjax-config">
MathJax.Hub.Config({
                    TeX: { equationNumbers: { autoNumber: "AMS" } }
                  });
</script>

to my copy of a rendered notebook page (html file) just before the
MathJax.Hub.Config{xxxxxxxx} stuff, as recommended by the Mathjax
documentation on how to get mathjax to display equation  numbers.
When the file was displayed in chrome it resulted in a totally
confused looking page. So, that obviously was not the thing to do.

I am uncertain as to what to try next.  As you can see I am don't
really understand how your code hangs together--a lot of ingredients
seem to be included in this juicy pot!!

Thanks for taking a look.  If you have any suggestions please shoot them my way.

Best regards,

Comer