[IPython-User] mathjax 2.0?

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Thu Mar 1 23:45:42 CST 2012

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Comer Duncan <comer.duncan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>

>> Here is our issue for tracking this.  Please see this issue.
>>
>> https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/1313
>>
>> Currently MathJax 2 is completely broken in the notebook.  To make
>> sure you are running MathJax 2, please reload your browser and right
>> click on some math to see the "About MathJax" dialog with shows the
>> version.
>>
>> It would be great if you could help us test/debug this and track down
>> what is going on here.
>>

> Well, I see from your post on the developer's about the above issue
> that you say you figured it out...?

Nope I have not...

> I am running cdn with version 2.0 and can not get equations to number
> by default as mathjax advertised.  However, I can get equations
> numbered by using the \tag{xxx} latex.  I can even get a border around
> the equation--with a color and width of my choice.
>
> I have looked at the javascript code notebookmain.js and tried to add
> the following just above the MathJax.Hub{xxxxxx} stuff:
>

> MathJax.Hub.Config({
>                    TeX: { equationNumbers: { autoNumber: "AMS" } }
>                  });

I think you need to add this configuration option to the existing
Hub.Config call.

> to my local ipython distribution.  I reinstalled ipython and tried
> running ipython with sympy, but then _no_ notebook would be displayed
> when selected in the Dashboard.

Hmm, does the Javascript console say anything useful.  You might try
clearing the browser cache as well.

> I also tried adding
>
> <script type="text/x-mathjax-config">
> MathJax.Hub.Config({
>                    TeX: { equationNumbers: { autoNumber: "AMS" } }
>                  });
> </script>
>
> to my copy of a rendered notebook page (html file) just before the
> MathJax.Hub.Config{xxxxxxxx} stuff, as recommended by the Mathjax
> documentation on how to get mathjax to display equation  numbers.
> When the file was displayed in chrome it resulted in a totally
> confused looking page. So, that obviously was not the thing to do.

I think there can only be *one* call to Hub.Config so you really need
to fold these options into the existing call.

> I am uncertain as to what to try next.  As you can see I am don't
> really understand how your code hangs together--a lot of ingredients
> seem to be included in this juicy pot!!
>
> Thanks for taking a look.  If you have any suggestions please shoot them my way.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Comer

Brian E. Granger